POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : you & me right now, warp : Re: you & me right now, warp Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:22:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: you & me right now, warp
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 17 Feb 2009 08:25:42
Message: <499abad6@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> nemesis wrote:
>> Nothing is faster than C, some wise men said. ;)
>
> Assembler is.

Back in the days before modern processors I'd say absolutely. But
nowadays that's debatable. Due to multiple pipelines, the criticality of
cache hits and advances in compiler design, it's very difficult to beat
C with assembler.

I'd say a mix of C and inline assembly is probably your fastest
performance bet. You can leverage the optimizations the compiler will
perform, and use SIMD instructions in ways the compiler won't find.

--
~Mike