POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : C++ / database question : Re: C++ / database question Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:17:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: C++ / database question
From: Darren New
Date: 17 Feb 2009 03:52:02
Message: <499a7ab2$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> What I might do is write a wrapper class for the database parts of my
> code that will initially just use simple STL structures to
> store/retrieve/filter data and then later I can write code to use a db
> engine instead once I get it working with small datasets.

Heh. That's pretty much exactly what the LINQ stuff in the .NET packages
does. An XML file looks like a SQL server at the source code - you just
build a different db connection object at the beginning.

If you're going to be filtering your own values anyway, look into the
non-SQL databases like metakit. The primary advantage of the SQL databases
is you can write expressions in SQL that manipulate an entire table (like
finding the max, min, average and sum of a whole column) in one statement.
If you're going to do that yourself anyway, it's probably easier to have the
code linked into your app than it is to try to install postgress but only if
it's already not installed *or* if you have permission to use it, etc. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"