POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Art Of Biomedical Visualization : The Art Of Biomedical Visualization Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:17:28 EDT (-0400)
  The Art Of Biomedical Visualization
From: andrel
Date: 20 Feb 2009 17:57:11
Message: <499F3539.8030200@hotmail.com>
Dear POVers,

recently we sent out this message to the biomedical engineering
community. I know it is very late, but we are not even sure if we want
to go through the whole registration process anyway. So if you know an
interesting image in the field of Biomedical Engineering let me know.
BTW as we say here, we also accept objects and animations. I probably
also have the option of 3D printing some objects for this occasion..

----------------------------
The Art of Visualization.

Dear Visualization Scientists

The purpose of this letter is to solicit your support in creating a
unique track at the upcoming World Congress on Medical Physics and
Biomedical Engineering 2009 in Munich.  The deadline is February 22, so
please read on!

In many fields in biomedical engineering and medical physics, the data
have become so large and so complex that one needs advanced
visualization in order to extract their meaning. Scientific
visualization is most effective when it uses the intrinsic (or trained)
ability of humans to recognize and match patterns in three dimensions.
A byproduct of many such visualizations is that the images become
aesthetically pleasing, even if one does not have the specific expertise
or knowledge to know what they might represent--visualization becomes art.

At the World Congress on Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering 2009
in Munich there will be a track like few others in scientific meetings
that is dedicated to visualization and it's unintended artistic spin-off.

This track will consist of the following:
- a small exhibition of visualization techniques and physical objects
- a revolving poster and animation exhibit which features examples of
scientific visualization that has become art
- oral sessions with talks on the history of scientific visualization,
the future of the field, and the role of visualization in education.

Submissions for this session can consist of interesting images,
supported by brief documentation of their origins and creation, photos
and description of an object, or a short paper describing recent
advances in scientific visualization that have led to artistic rendering.
To ensure your submission ends up in the right place, please use the
conference web site

http://www.wc2009.org/world-congress-2009/abstracts/Pages/InstructionsforPaperSubmission.aspx

and select Theme 13. Special Topics and Workshops and then Track 09: The
Art of Scientific Visualization. Then follow the standard procedure of
logging in into the system and supplying the title and an abstract. The
paper can be added later but not later than February 22.

Please circulate this call for submissions widely and contact us with
questions.

Deadline for submissions is March 1!

Andre Linnenbank   and Rob MacLeod

Track Co-chairs