POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dr POV-Ray : Re: Dr POV-Ray Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:21:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dr POV-Ray
From: andrel
Date: 20 Feb 2009 17:46:17
Message: <499F32AB.9060503@hotmail.com>
On 20-2-2009 22:54, Darren New wrote:

> Go where they'll pay for you.  You can't reasonably do a PhD while
> you're holding down a full-time job, IMO.

It can be done. My only PhD student ATM has a full time job elsewhere. I
sorta did that and one of my former PhD students also did not have a
regular PhD position. It may take a bit longer doing it this way. The
environment you are working in should be research minded of course.
Actually I think that for Andy it might work. At least in an environment
like my department where the distinction between scientific staff and
supporting staff is rather blurred. I think I mentioned it recently in
another thread, we do have a couple of people that started out as
supporting staff and then converted to do a PhD. I don't know enough
about the English system to know if such things are possible there.