POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dr POV-Ray : Re: Dr SQL Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:23:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dr SQL
From: andrel
Date: 20 Feb 2009 12:04:13
Message: <499EE27F.1090406@hotmail.com>
On 20-2-2009 17:50, Invisible wrote:
>>> Even so, 10x higher still seems rather large. I would have expected
>>> something more like a few percent denser.
>>

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avogadro%27s_number
>
> There are 6.03 x 10^23 atoms in 12 grams of Carbon-12.
>
> [A fact which our Java lecturer disputed. He was trying to claim that
> the range of a single-precision float is "oh, more than the number of
> atoms in the universe", and thus you don't really need double-precision.]

One of the reasons why I am happy that I did not know of CS when I
started at uni. They started a year before and somehow that message did
not reach me in time, otherwise I might have studied CS. While studying
physics I did a few courses at the CS department and was invariably
struck by the quality of the lecturers. Did I tell the story of the
teacher that could not write down the equation for a straight line?

> I'm not quite sure how that's relevant here though.

The number of atoms in a given volume of gas at standard pressure is
constant, hence the weight of a volume of N2 is 7 times that of H2 and
O2 8 times. So why did you expect a few percent?