POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : you & me right now, warp : Re: you & me right now, warp Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:26:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: you & me right now, warp
From: andrel
Date: 20 Feb 2009 06:25:03
Message: <499E9303.1070404@hotmail.com>
On 20-2-2009 12:06, Stephen wrote:

>>> In French the i is not really longer than average, the pronunciation is
>>> /klik/.
>>>
>> Yes, but would an Englishman know?
>
> No and it is considered pretentious to pronounce French words, that are used in
> English, as they are pronounced in France.

Funny that. Try pronouncing a French or English word here as if it is
Dutch and see how people react. In fact as a Dutch person you are
assumed to know which words come from which language and change
pronunciation rules in midsentence as required. Only words that have
been incorporated in the language for a long time get assimilated
somewhat. We do write 'buro' nowadays and not 'bureau', but I have yet
to see a newspaper write 'kompjoeter', unless for humoristic affect.

>  For instance Paris is not "Paree", filet is fill-et etc.
Paris is not a good example as we do have a Dutch word for it: 'Parijs',
with a 'ij' vowel that you nor a French person can pronounce correctly.