POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : you & me right now, warp : Re: you & me right now, warp Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:22:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: you & me right now, warp
From: andrel
Date: 20 Feb 2009 05:23:11
Message: <499E8484.8040303@hotmail.com>
On 20-2-2009 11:00, Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
> andrel a écrit :

>>> Wikipedia claims it's /'kliːk/ (i.e, "kleek"). Obviously Wikipedia is
>>> never wrong.
>>
>> Is that the standard English pronunciation or the standard French, or
>> that by Englishmen who tries to imitate the French?
>
> In French the i is not really longer than average, the pronunciation is
> /klik/.

Yes, but would an Englishman know?

BTW there is the Dutch word 'kliek' pronounced as the english equivalent
and meaning the same. I assume they have the same origin. Might it be
the case that when French was still the lingua franca that the
pronunciation was somewhat different? I know that Dutch vowels drifted a
bit. Actually they still do.