POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : you & me right now, warp : Re: you & me right now, warp Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:18:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: you & me right now, warp
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 16 Feb 2009 15:28:22
Message: <4999cc66$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> You're not an idiot, and I never thought you were.

Thank God somebody thinks so. Right now, I'm not sure *I* believe it any
more.

I mean, hell, *I* used to think I was a good programmer, even though
people kept telling me I wasn't. But who the hell made me an expert on
who is or isn't good at programming??

Likewise, I know what a monoid is, and most people don't. But that
doesn't exactly make me a maths expert, does it? Maybe I just need to
get over myself and admit that really I know bugger-all about anything...

>> personally must be doing something very wrong to attract this kind of
>> negative attention.
>
> My guess is you're asking hard questions that make the Haskell experts
> feel like they've been wasting their time.  Hard questions like "why
> does C add this up in 2 seconds and Haskell takes 7 minutes?"
>
> I've found a good technique is to admit upfront it's probably something
> you're doing wrong yourself, and ask for help fixing it, like "this
> program is much slower than an interative approach - what am I doing
> wrong that makes it so slow?"

The fact that my hurried post makes it sound like I'm criticising the
compiler rather than myself probably didn't help...

But that still doesn't explain the last 3 years.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/