POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : you & me right now, warp : Re: you & me right now, warp Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:18:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: you & me right now, warp
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Feb 2009 14:00:09
Message: <4999b7b9$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> When somebody like that tells you you're an idiot, you sit up and take notice.

I don't think you're an idiot. I get a bit frustrated with people when they
swallow marketing FUD that's trivially disprovable, or when they
overgeneralize and then insist that the overgeneralization applies in every
situation.  I think those are the two things online that bug me, and only
coming from people I view as intelligent and educable. (I know that last bit
sounds rather hubric, but I don't feel like coming up with a better word
right now. :-)

You're not an idiot, and I never thought you were.

> personally must be doing something very wrong to attract this kind of
> negative attention.

My guess is you're asking hard questions that make the Haskell experts feel
like they've been wasting their time.  Hard questions like "why does C add
this up in 2 seconds and Haskell takes 7 minutes?"

I've found a good technique is to admit upfront it's probably something
you're doing wrong yourself, and ask for help fixing it, like "this program
is much slower than an interative approach - what am I doing wrong that
makes it so slow?"

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"