POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : fun project - point clouds : Re: fun project - point clouds Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:18:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: fun project - point clouds
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 16 Feb 2009 13:55:40
Message: <4999b6ac@news.povray.org>
Kevin Wampler wrote:
> Tom Austin wrote:
>> Anyone have any brain matter than they can throw out about how to work
>> with large point clouds?
>
> That depends quite a bit on what you want to do with them or use them for.

Man, I was curious!  I really am more than happy to help, it's just that
which algorithm you want to use depends on the application.  As a
general suggestion, spatial partitioning hierarchies (like octrees or
kd-trees) are good when you want to quickly do operations that are
localized around a small area in space, but that's about the most I can
say without knowing more.