POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Numeric performance : Re: Numeric performance Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:19:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Numeric performance
From: Invisible
Date: 16 Feb 2009 04:54:57
Message: <499937f1@news.povray.org>
>>   I give up. For some reason trying to teach you something seems
>> completely pointless.
>
> Now now. He *did* say he got it working. :-)  And you must admit,
> printf() isn't the most intuitive way of printing something.

No, it seems Warp is right.

I have conclusively demonstrated that Haskell is many orders of
magnitude slower than C even for a trivial program.

After all these years of using Haskell, I thought I understood how it
worked. I read all the papers about all the sophisticated optimisations
the compiler performs. And I felt sure I knew what I was doing. But,
clearly, I don't.

I have wasted 4 years of my life on Haskell. It is so beautiful and
eligant, I wanted it to be the answer, and I blindly believed that it
would be. Clearly it isn't.

The irony, the sheer irony of it, is that the whole reason I was timing
this stuff in the first place was that I was just about to reach into
the source code of the compiler to try to tweak its performance. It is
obvious to me now that I shouldn't be let anywhere near an actual
compiler. Better to leave that to the real experts.

It seems I've been deluding myself. All these years, I thought I was
some kind of master programmer. What, just because I've been writing
programs for 20 years, that makes me an expert? Just because I wrote
some trivial raytracer and it kinda worked, that means I'm good at
programming? Who the hell am I kidding?

I am now the laughing stock of this forum. Nobody is ever doing to take
anything I say about Haskell seriously ever again. Even better, when I
asked about this in the Haskell forum, I got yelled at for being a
troll. (Again.)

So, not only do I fail at programming, I fail at human interaction. It
seems everywhere I do, people yell at me for being immature and
outspoken. Maybe I should just take myself away somewhere and figure out
WTF is *wrong* with me. I fail at life.

I'm sorry.