POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : kd-trees rule! : Re: kd-trees rule! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:18:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: kd-trees rule!
From: Invisible
Date: 16 Feb 2009 04:01:27
Message: <49992b67$1@news.povray.org>
>> Incidentally, while playing CSS the game engine appears to very
>> occasionally get this wrong. (I.e., distant objects appear *in front*
>> of nearer ones - typically textures for things like explosions, window
>> glass, etc.) The result looks very weird.
>
> That's because the depth buffer has limited precision (16 or 24 bit
> usually).  If you can, check that it is set to the highest setting your
> display driver allows.

I noticed with Crysis that really distant objects "sparkle" like there's
a coincident surface glitch. I suspect that what's really happening is
limited Z-buffer precision.

The glitch I'm tolding about happens on a custom level at distances of
only a few feet, so I suspect the level author set some flag wrong or
seomthing.