POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Spotlight problems : Re: Spotlight problems Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:51:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spotlight problems
From: CShake
Date: 15 Feb 2009 21:49:24
Message: <4998d434$1@news.povray.org>
Christian Froeschlin wrote:
> cshake wrote:
>
>> behavior at all? (possibly helpful addition: the original light color
>> is way
>> over rgb 1.0 (closer to rgb 1*10000), to allow for a distant light)
>
> Sounds like a clipping effect. This would means your high intensity
> color actually speficies the orange, not the yellow, but in the high
> intensity areas the red channel is oversaturated and clipped to the
> maximum supported by the output format (typically 8 bit), so the
> ratio of red/green becomes smaller and thus more yellow-ish.
>
> Try reducing the light intensity to observe the change.

Thanks, reducing the intensity did help, I guess I was expecting the
color to be closer to white than it really was. I also didn't realize
that clipping or oversaturation could be an issue, had never run into it
before.
I rendered the test scene again and found that increasing the bit depth
of the output file from 8 to 16 (png) didn't make a difference itself,
but either dimming the light or moving it farther away (with fading) did
do the trick.

I'm still stuck on the other issue, but this gets me somewhere.