POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Numeric performance : Re: Numeric performance Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:14:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Numeric performance
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 15 Feb 2009 16:22:28
Message: <49988794$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> PS. I just changed the Haskell program. It now takes 0.5 seconds - which
> is even faster than C. But I still have no idea why the first version
> wasn't this fast, so that's not much comfort.

So maybe it's because I'm using this version of the compiler that I
built myself, and it's broken in some way?

Er, no. Just tried it with the release version. The numbers are a
fraction of a second slower still. Either way, two equivilent
formulations of the program have wildly different runtimes.

Interestingly, on my much more powerful desktop PC [with yet another
version of the compiler], the "slow" version only takes 2 seconds. But
the "fast" version is too quick to time, so something is still wrong.

Ah, the bitter taste of utter defeat.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/