POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A second comming : Re: A second comming Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A second comming
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 15 Feb 2009 12:58:35
Message: <499857cb@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 09:36:53 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 14 Feb 2009 16:49:58 -0500, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
>
>>> I bought a Wacom on ebay cheaply to try it out. (There was a lot of
>>> discussion here at the time) I found that I liked using it so much I
>>> bought two cheep ones from Maplins (£17) to use at work and to carry
>>> around with my laptop.) I really only use them as a mouse substitute.
>>> I find that they reduce my RSI a lot especially if I swap between the
>>> tablet, mouse and touch pad.
>>
>>Cool, I don't usually think of eBay for stuff like this, will have to
>>have a look.
>>
> Nor do I but my wife was buying a lot of HiFi accessories on ebay, at
> the time.

Ah.  Well, I've found one up there and am keeping an eye on the bidding;
it's another 4 days before it's done, but current bid is only $1.25.
Meantime, I'm going to see if our marketing department has someone who
has one I could take a look at. :-)

>>Yeah.  There's a local pub that does a good battered fish and chips, but
>>it's one of many things they do.  I find that for *really* good ones,
>>you gotta go somewhere that that's all they do.
>>
>>We've decided to go to the pub tomorrow, though, and I think that's what
>>I may have.  Thing is, they have other things that I like far better.
>>
> Pub, fish and chips? Better than nothing, I suppose.

Well, yeah, thing is like I said, they have many things that I like a lot
better.  But their fish is battered with their own beer (it's a pub and
brewery), a very good Hefeweisen.  But I usually end up getting the
jambalaya because it's really good.  Or I could just sit and eat wings
all night. :-)

>>He was *very* confused as a result.  It probably didn't help that we
>>were dressed like locals as well, rather than as stereotypical American
>>tourists in loud Hawaiian shirts and whatnot. ;-)
>
> Sometimes you need to live up to people's expectations and speak as if
> you are off the telly, to be understood. :)

LOL, unfortunately (or fortunately, more appropriately) for us that's
just not gonna happen. ;-)

> Harking back to my time in Jamaica. I found it quite disconcerting
> speaking to white Jamaicans (actually called island-born "Jamaican
> whites"). My ears were saying that they were black but my eyes told a
> different story. A little rider to that for others reading it. It is not
> like saying someone sounds "urban". In countries that the people are
> predominantly not white there is a more matter of fact way of speaking
> about colour and race than in our first world countries. I've been taken
> aback a few times.

It can be surprising when that happens, have had that happen once or
twice myself. :-)

Jim