POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Possible bug in cutaway_textures in beta30 : Re: Possible bug in cutaway_textures in beta30 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:28:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Possible bug in cutaway_textures in beta30
From: Chris Cason
Date: 15 Feb 2009 05:45:45
Message: <4997f259$1@news.povray.org>
Rarius wrote:
> THIMC,
>
> If I run the attached POV file I get the following error.
>
>     Fatal error in renderer: Out of memory.
>     Render failed
>
> If I comment out the cutaway_textures, or change the plane from y to
> -y it works fine. I suspect a bug in the cutaway_textures code.
>
> I have just tried it again after changing line 77 to read "  #local
> rx=rx+10;" and it now works... In fact any step value over 5.715 works,
> but anything less fails, but only with cutaway_textures!
>
> It fails consistantly in both Version 3.7.0.beta.30.msvc8-sse2.win32 and
> in Version 3.7.0.beta.30.msvc8.win32, but works fine in Version
> 3.6.1.icl8.win32

The problem here is that there are too many entries in the weighted texture
list. Making the step smaller increases the total number of textures.
Currently the weighted texture list is a fixed-size vector (max 64
elements). This is done to force the vector to be created on the stack,
rather than the heap (which forces a malloc/free, requires heap locking,
and in general badly damages performance).

Clearly this has to be fixed (this is not the first time we've run into
this), but it'll need to wait a bit.

-- Chris