POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : DTV Conversion : Re: DTV Conversion Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:15:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DTV Conversion
From: Chambers
Date: 15 Feb 2009 03:58:03
Message: <4997d91b$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/14/2009 7:59 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Chambers wrote:
>> What's really (supposed to be) happening on the 19th is that the
>> analog signal will be switched off, *not* that the digital signal will
>> be switched on.
>
> Yeah. Don't other people get to use the analog bandwidth, tho?

That's the main problem - the FCC has already auctioned off that
bandwidth, and now Congress is saying it's not going to be available for
several months!

> Anyway, I've probably been reading the opposite side of the propaganda
> that you have. Yours definitely makes more sense. :-)

Our local paper has printed statements about the various stations in the
area, and they're ALL planning on going ahead with the switch anyway.
They way they put it, they would have made the switch *sooner* if they
had been allowed.

I think it was PBS that said delaying the switch would cost them
something like $40 million in electricity alone.  They are REALLY
looking forward to the lower power requirements of digital broadcast :o

--
...Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com