POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : DTV Conversion : Re: DTV Conversion Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:14:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DTV Conversion
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 14 Feb 2009 22:01:19
Message: <4997857f@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> I'm willing to bet that we could have converter boxes for <$20 right now
> if Congress hadn't come up with that coupon plan.
>
> After all, if you know for a fact that every item you sell has a $40
> discount, doesn't it make sense to sell it for $40+x?

	Nope. Let's say that without the coupon program, the only way to be
profitable was to sell it at $45.

	Now you could just add $40 to the cost because of the coupons. But then
some competitor will offer it for only $60 - and ultimately you'll be
back to $45.

	Your analysis made the assumption that they *could* have been
profitable by selling it at less than $40 - an unsupported assumption.

--
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl