POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : one Saturday at taxi school : one Saturday at taxi school Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:17:07 EDT (-0400)
  one Saturday at taxi school
From: Jim Charter
Date: 14 Feb 2009 18:35:26
Message: <4997553e$1@news.povray.org>
Had a kind of a strange day teaching today.  I was in to teach a 4 hr
'continuing ed' course.  Sometimes we call it the 'renewal course'  It
is a course that the Taxi and Limousine Commission mandates that drivers
must take at the end of their 1 year probationary period as a
requirement for the first renewal of their 'hack' license.  After that,
drivers must renew their licenses every two years.

The renewal course is a reflective course where drivers are supposed to
discuss and refocus on customer service issues in light of their
experiences during their first year of driving.  Since it is a class
where you want to encourage conversations you do the standard adult
education thing and start off by having everyone introduce themselves to
the room.

So one older Pakistani gentleman introduces himself and reminds me that
he had me as a teacher for his initial training and then goes on to say
that he hasn't been able to drive much. Since we last met his young,
beautiful wife, 40-years of age, suffered a stroke and now in the
hospitable in a coma.  He's got a part time job, instead of hacking, so
he can spend more time caring for his two young daughters and being with
his wife.  (Later as part of the class I would be demonstrating the use
of a wheelchair.)

Meanwhile, just down the hall, my boss is teaching a special course we
do for drivers who have lost their hack licenses do to DWI convictions.
  Normally a DWI means mandatory and permanent revocation of your
license to operate a taxi.  This is an experimental course to try and
reinstate some drivers.  It is a seven week course and this was the
sixth or seventh class.  Mostly the class is a bunch of young toughs but
one student was an older and harder case.  My boss describes him as an
'instigator,' a rabble rouser, always talking back and seeking the
attention of the younger ones. ("I drive better after a drink. Ho, Ho")
For weeks my boss has been doing battle with this guy during the class.
  Today, this man comes into class devastated.  On Thursday last, his
son was out with a group of kids drinking and driving.  His son is now
in the hospital brain dead. His son was a passenger in the car.