POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More VM fun : Re: More VM fun Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:19:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More VM fun
From: Darren New
Date: 14 Feb 2009 16:01:06
Message: <49973112$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Well, actually earlier today it was 50 KB/sec. But around about 5 PM it
> suddenly dropped to 8 KB/sec. (As in, there was a sharp line in the
> traffic history.) And it's been setting at exactly 8 KB/sec ever since.
> I almost wonder if my ISP is shaping the traffic...

I think it's also likely that a lot of people have stuff on home machines
and they set the schedule to let it run all-out when they're at work. I've
seen the opposite on some torrents, too, where weekends or evenings it'll be
fast and during the work day it'll be a trickle. Probably the same thing,
I'd guess, only the other direction.

> LOL!

Server gets a little farther, in both real and VirtualPC, but neither
actually get to the point where it gives you a prompt you can do something
with.

> The Real WTF(tm) is how each release of Ubuntu has a stupid name. My
> laptop is running Ubuntu "hardy ferron".

I know a guy working on a project where the first release was named "Blame
Canada."  Then it was "Blame Datshunds", then "Blame Egrets" or some such...

> Actually, I just checked. The updater complained it couldn't resolve the
> DNS name of the update server. I tried 3 times; failed each time. (It
> takes *forever*, mind you. For some reason it insists on rebuilding the
> package dependency tree, even though it hasn't changed.) So I pinged the
> update server. Now suddenly the update program sees it. WTF??

Hey, welcome to open source. :-)

I'm dicking around with Blender right now. You wouldn't believe how ...
awful it is.  After figuring out that shadows don't work in ray tracing mode
unless you tell the thing the shadows are casting *onto* that it should pay
attention to whether things are transparent, I'm now stuck with a piece of
cloth that will only interact with some objects and not others, even tho the
other objects are dupicates of the ones it interacts with. WTF mohn?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"