POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More VM fun : Re: More VM fun Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:19:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More VM fun
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 14 Feb 2009 15:38:34
Message: <49972bca$1@news.povray.org>
>> I'm currently sucking down KNOPPIX at a rate of about 8 KB/sec.
>> Currently 10% done after several hours.
>
> Eight minutes, here. ;-)

Git.

> Of course, you need enough machines in the
> swarm to actually feed you that fast. :-)

Well, actually earlier today it was 50 KB/sec. But around about 5 PM it
suddenly dropped to 8 KB/sec. (As in, there was a sharp line in the
traffic history.) And it's been setting at exactly 8 KB/sec ever since.
I almost wonder if my ISP is shaping the traffic...

Also, I'm downloading the *previous* version of KNOPPIX, which possibly
has a smaller swarm. (Still, it says 14 peers and 228 seeds, you'd
*think* that's enough...)

> I'm trying the "server" version of ubuntu to see if it'll boot. The
> "desktop" version brings up the "what next" menu, and when you hit enter
> on a choice it spins up the CD for a few seconds then comes back to the
> menu. On the 64-bit machine, it spends 5 minutes loading the kernel,
> then pops up a box saying "Boot loader: OK" and when you press enter
> you're back at the main menu again. WTF guys?  If I run across a version
> of ubuntu that actually boots, I'll try it under VirtualPC.

LOL!

The Real WTF(tm) is how each release of Ubuntu has a stupid name. My
laptop is running Ubuntu "hardy ferron".

It said there were updates to be installed. I told it to go for it. Took
about an hour. o_O I was almost wondering if by the time it finished
some new updates would be available! ;-)

Actually, I just checked. The updater complained it couldn't resolve the
DNS name of the update server. I tried 3 times; failed each time. (It
takes *forever*, mind you. For some reason it insists on rebuilding the
package dependency tree, even though it hasn't changed.) So I pinged the
update server. Now suddenly the update program sees it. WTF??

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/