POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Generating cut-aways : Re: Generating cut-aways Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:30:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Generating cut-aways
From: Alain
Date: 14 Feb 2009 13:59:14
Message: <49971482$1@news.povray.org>
rtwas nous illumina en ce 2009-02-14 07:54 -->
> Hello,
>
> I've researched this problem a bit. It doesn't look like povray can do things
> the way I hoped it would.
>
> Basically I want to generate a "cut away" of a complex assembly. I routinely use
> povray as a modeling tool to render mechanical designs before I fabricate them.
> As one might imagine generating a cut-away of the design is quite useful.
>
> The logical choice here would be to use the "difference" command. The problem
> is that although it is *claimed* that objects are assumed to be solid, in
> reality it seems "difference" puts a *cap* on the (hollow) object its
> differencing. Evidence of this can be seen when using the pigment "Clear" on
> the object being differenced.
>
> ie.,

  difference
    {
    cylinder
      {
      <0.0, 0.0, 1.0>
      <0.0, 0.0,-1.0>
      1.0
      pigment{Yellow}
      }

    box
      {
      <0.0, 2.0, 2.0>
      <2.0,-2.0,-2.0>
      //pigment{Clear} remove this pigment
      }
cutaway_textures // add this.
    }

--
Alain
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will