POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : kd-trees rule! : Re: kd-trees rule! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:15:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: kd-trees rule!
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Feb 2009 14:16:29
Message: <4995c70d$1@news.povray.org>
triple_r wrote:
> Of course you have to compile and link over and over, but how bad is that, really?

Nah. Just embed a decent language and invoke it. Tcl might be OK for this,
and I've heard good things about Lua. Python is hooked into a number of
programs I've seen, including Blender.

In Blender, you write your python code to invoke Blender objects and frob
around the internals how you like, then tell Blender "hey, here's your new
scene."  Kind of like the way web languages have a "Request" object and a
"Response" object, and you (say) assign things to response.cookies to set
cookies at the browser.

REXX is another way to go - sort of like Windows COM only less Microsoft.

Or go with Windows COM or .NET if you're not worried about non-Windows machines.

> Upon reflection, maybe the answer is, "Pretty bad."  I think it's still the
> approach I'd take since I don't actually know how to write a proper parser.

Use one someone already built for you, with the intention that you use it as
your parser.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"