POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A second comming : Re: A second comming Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:19:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A second comming
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Feb 2009 13:00:53
Message: <4995b555@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 14:01:18 +0200, Eero Ahonen wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>>
>> I wouldn't do 4th to 2nd.  Always one gear at a time, otherwise as you
>> state, you can cause the wheels to lock up.
>
> I do that (downshifting 2-3 gears at once) every day while slowing down
> from the motorway - either 6-5-3-2, 6-4-2 or 6-3-2, depending on place,
> traffic etc.

Ah, I've never driven a 6-speed vehicle.  From higher gears it would
probably be less of an issue, but dropping from 3 to 1 can redline the
engine, at least IME.

> And I've managed to lock driving wheels up even without downshifting, by
> just lifting the gas pedal (icy, Volvo 740 and Nokian HKPL4 (studded and
> very good winter tires)). Pressing clutch to get traction back and using
> brakes (=braking with front wheels) were the savior of that situation.

Yes, effective use of the clutch in that type of situation would also
help - since it would engage/disengage the engine from the drivetrain.

> But yes, usually with FWD car it's pretty hard to mess up with engine
> braking, we certainly agree on that.

:-)

Jim