POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A second comming : Re: A second comming Server Time
9 Oct 2024 20:49:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A second comming
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 13 Feb 2009 07:08:20
Message: <499562b4$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:

> It depends on the road conditions.  For example, this morning as I turned
> left into the parking lot at the office, the car's momentum overcame the
> friction of the tires on the ice, and I ended up not turning as per usual
> but sliding instead.  In that case, pumping the breaks was an effective
> way to slow the car down.  Similar effect to a car with ABS (which I
> really miss in my current car, my last one had ABS but the new one
> doesn't), but the pulsing isn't rapid.
>
> If a car has ABS, you can get away with hitting the breaks, because the
> ABS system will prevent the wheels from locking up.

And if you'd had ESP, it should've braked for you (with just left
wheels, to make the car turn) ;). For some reason (dunno why) Audi's
(tested with B7 and B8 A4's) don't seem to do this - if you turn the
wheels too quickly on ice and slide forwards without turning, the ESP
won't realize it and does nothing.

> Jim

-Aero