POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A second comming : Re: A second comming Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:18:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A second comming
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 13 Feb 2009 07:03:59
Message: <499561af$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:

> I wouldn't do 4th to 2nd.  Always one gear at a time, otherwise as you
> state, you can cause the wheels to lock up.

I do that (downshifting 2-3 gears at once) every day while slowing down
from the motorway - either 6-5-3-2, 6-4-2 or 6-3-2, depending on place,
traffic etc.

And I've managed to lock driving wheels up even without downshifting, by
just lifting the gas pedal (icy, Volvo 740 and Nokian HKPL4 (studded and
very good winter tires)). Pressing clutch to get traction back and using
brakes (=braking with front wheels) were the savior of that situation.

But yes, usually with FWD car it's pretty hard to mess up with engine
braking, we certainly agree on that.

> Jim

-Aero