POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A second comming : Re: A second comming Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:20:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A second comming
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 12 Feb 2009 17:43:38
Message: <4994a61a$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 21:47:11 +0000, Stephen wrote:

>>> No, you are asking a dyslectic about spelling? :)
>>
>>LOL, arguably, the question comes up if a dyslexic person wouldn't in
>>fact describe themselves as "lysdexic"....?
>>
> No.

Well, I was making a joke - if it touched too close to home, please
accept my most sincere apologies.

> I often type it dislyxic, I know that there is a "y" in there somewhere.
> I can see that it is not right but have never been able to remember the
> spelling.

I could see that.  I often will spell something the way I think it's
spelt and it doesn't look right.  In my newsreader, of course, it doesn't
look right because of the squiggly red line underneath the word.

>>> Anyway I am used to reading American spelling now and translate into
>>> proper English, automatically. It is BTW one way. :)
>>
>>So all my automated typing of things into UK English (I usually have to
>>correct for an American audience, in fact, because it is automatic for
>>me 99% of the time) has just gone right past?
>
> Yes.

I guess since it's normal spelling for you, it would - that makes sense.

> Occasionally I notice as I know that you are an American but generally I
> just read it and think nothing of it. Actually since you mention it, why
> and what do other Americans think of you writing like a limey?

I occasionally get grief from people about it, or light joking about it.
One of my coworkers noticed it a few years ago and asked me about it -
not because he was anything other than curious, though - his background
is linguistics.

I don't know why I started using Queen's English spellings, though - just
became a habit.  Possibly because I spent a lot of my time writing to
brits. :-)

Jim