POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Debugging and line numbers : Re: Debugging and line numbers Server Time
1 Jun 2024 03:03:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Debugging and line numbers
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Feb 2009 14:05:20
Message: <49932170@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 17:17:59 -0500, clipka wrote:

> Yeah - just tell me what freakin' compiler settings *should* get me
> those freakin' line numbers in those freakin' coredumps, and I might
> freakin' get ahead somehow to find out how to ./configure POV for
> that... as of now, nobody seems to know those Linux compilers well
> enough to boldly make a statement that options X and Y will give me what
> I want. All people come up with is "go look for yourself, it's sooooooo
> easy..."

Well, it's not the sort of thing I do on a daily basis, so if I have to
google it, then it makes sense to say "the info's out there".  We've been
down this road before.  Like Nem said, I appreciate the work you're doing
on the radiosity code and think it's great...

So to help out, I've done the googling.

-g enables line numbers (not as a parameter to the configure script, as a
parameter to the gcc compiler).  I've just confirmed this with a simple
"hello world" program:

main () at hello.c:6
6		puts("Hello World");
(gdb)

This break point is at line 6.

> Hey, come on guys, here's something where YOU can help make POV
> radiosity better: Invest a few minutes to help a Windows-spoilt
> developer along on a Linux machine...
>
> ...... oh, by the way: Settings for Intel compiler preferred. To my
> experience it does a better job at optimization, so that's the one I'm
> normally using for POV. Though I (generally) know how to ./configure POV
> to compile with gcc, too.

I have no idea about Intel's compiler; don't have it installed, never
used it before.

> So anyone want those sporadic crashes of Linux POV gotten rid of before
> they wind up in some beta? Here's the deal: Somebody help me with that,
> and I'll give it a try. Or nobody helps me, and I'll leave that job to
> someone else more familiar with Linux development. Both fine with me,
> though I'd prefer to know that the betas will be "clean" in this
> respect.

Are you loading up a core file from a crash in gdb?  Or are you
duplicating the crash by running povray under gdb?

Jim