POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Debugging and line numbers : Re: Debugging and line numbers Server Time
1 Jun 2024 03:02:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Debugging and line numbers
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Feb 2009 12:28:22
Message: <49930ab6@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 16:56:24 -0500, clipka wrote:

>> > Sure. I prefer the "INSTALL" documentation of POV though (I'm not so
>> > fond of any online help that I have to invoke again and again because
>> > it keeps scrolling out of view in my terminal window). Still it
>> > doesn't say what *exactly* those compiler flags do; for example, can
>> > *you* tell me what *exactly* the "--enable-debug" flag does? I give
>> > you a hint: It does *not* seem to enable line number information in
>> > the executable.
>>
>> Pipe the output through less.  :-)
>
> You didn't get my point: I'm more into hypertext online helps in a
> dedicated window, not something that goes on in a standard terminal
> window.
>
> Well, maybe Linux people can't understand why anybody would have such
> preferences, but... well, there *is* something intuitive about having
> different things look different on the desktop...

No, I understand perfectly.  For a dedicated window, you can always open
up an extra terminal window as well - there are options.  Or if you
really want to look at the help in an editor/web page/whatever, open the
configure script up in that and go to the part of the page that shows the
help.

>> I don't have the povray source on my system at the moment, so no, I
>> probably couldn't tell you what --enable-debug does in povray's
>> configure script.
>>
>> You could always run the configure script with and without the switch
>> and diff the makefiles....That's how I'd do it rather than trying to
>> sort through bash scripting (since that's not my strong suit).
>
> And here you got it again what my whole lamenting is about: Finding out
> how to get line numbers out of a core dump or valgrind run seems to boil
> down to a detective's job, and I don't have the time nor patience to do
> it.

What you're lamenting about is that Linux isn't Windows.  Surprise! ;-)

Jim