POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Usability targets and frameworks : Re: Usability targets and frameworks Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:19:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Usability targets and frameworks
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 10 Feb 2009 17:10:46
Message: <4991fb66@news.povray.org>
>> Do you know where I can turn off the option that tries to
>> automatically format the current bullet point the same way as the last
>> one?
>
> On the Tools menu, click AutoCorrect Options, and then click the
> AutoFormat As You Type tab.

This looks like the relevant info. Maybe if I turn this off, Word will
finally behave deterministically...

>> Maybe because I'm trying to type stuff that features program source
>> code that has weird grammer and punctuation?
>
> Yeah, that would probably confuse it. You probably want to turn off all
> the auto formatting and correcting stuff.  Or use notepad. :-)

Yes. Because Notepad allows you to use multiple typefaces. Oh, wait... :-P

>> Well, when I tried it, it did. I had a working Java project that
>> compiled perfectly, but I couldn't do anything with it in VS until I
>> let the program rearrange all the files the way it wanted. (This
>> included manually importing all the classes, one at a time, by hand.)
>
> Well, if you create a blank project, sure, you have to add the files
> into the project. That's like complaining the paragraph in that other
> document has to be pasted into this one for it to print.

You'd think you could import *all* the classes in one go though, no?

> I'm not sure what junk you had in your IDE, but nowadays they seem to do
> a fine job.

OK. Apparently they improved it then.

>> What does MSDN actually contain anyway? I've never looked at it.
>
> Damn, dude. No wonder.
>
> Microsoft Developers Network.
>
> It's all the documentation and code and etc for people who work with
> microsoft code to develop or configure software.

I see. I thought it was only for people who want to write low-level C
code that runs under Windows. (Obviously, this is not something I ever
want to have to do.)

> Well, yeah. I wouldn't be surprised of most of MSDN doesn't get indexed
> by google. The MS support site is for "my computer is broken, how do I
> fix it?"  MSDN is for "I need to use Windows to do my job, what do I
> need to know?"

I see. This was not clear to me.

>> Er, yeah, I've noticed how 98% of all manpages say "please concult the
>> infopage". Why?
>
> Because the InfoPage runs in emacs, which is RSM's baby. They're emacs
> scripts pretending to be a web browser. Annoying as hell.

Well, I never liked it much...

>> Indeed, *everything* seems to be VB.NET. AFAIK, this is a different
>> language to the VBA used in Office 2003.
>
> I don't understand. I put in "vba office 2003" in the search engine, and
> I get.
>
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Search/en-US/?query=vba%20office%202003&ac=2
>
> The first four links are for Excel VBA language reference, Access VBA
> language referene, Word VBA language reference, and VBA language
> reference for the Office 2003 data model. Later links are for outlook,
> powerpoint, graph, frontpage, compiled as a help page, etc.
>
> Why do you think Microsoft isn't documenting this?

I'll resurve judgement until *after* I've read this stuff. ;-)

>> The top link appears to be a reference document. Which is nice, but
>> not for learning how to use something for the first time.
>
> Suck it up, dude. Not every product comes with a free tutorial.

Why the hell not? If you've paid good money for it, surely you expect to
get instructions?

> You know, my car didn't come with a book teaching me how to drive,
> either. :-)

No, because (for the 8th time) this is not specific to your car. It
works for *all* cars.

You know what? When I bought a Pascal compiler, it came with a book that
teaches you how to program in Pascal. You'd think if you buy a
wordprocessor, it could come with instructions telling you what all the
various options mean, and how to make it do stuff. (Especially given the
exorbitant price tag...)

>> (Also, is there a
>> reason why none of these M$ documents allow you to nagivate properly
>> whichout lots of trickery with tabs and trying to defeat the JS links?)
>
> Because there's a giant TOC on the left side for most of MSDN? I dunno.
> Works for me.

I get a ToC, but not focused on the thing that's actually displayed in
the main pane. (This seems to happen frequently.)

<cynical> I wonder if it's because I'm not using IE? </cynical>

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/