POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Usability targets and frameworks : Re: Usability targets and frameworks Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:17:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Usability targets and frameworks
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Feb 2009 16:19:38
Message: <4991ef6a$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> you join a domain or not. I don't see why it can't just *ask* you
> whether you want it to create a local account or not...

Because that's a question that would confuse 95% of their customers, and the
5% who might not want it are expected to be able to find the documentation
on how to stop that from happening.

> Uh, didn't this thread start out with "M$ doesn't document things well
> enough"?

Sure. I'm pointing out that they document it OK if you dig hard enough.
You would look up something like this...
http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/1/0/b106fc39-936c-4857-a6ea-3fb9d1f37063/Step-by-Step_Guide_for_Windows_Deployment_Services_in_Windows_Server_2008.doc
... only for your own OS version. You might, for example, search for "remote
installation services" or "unattended install windows xp".
That might lead you to a link like
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294801
wherein it tells you what to set to avoid the "out of the box experience",
which I assume is probably what asks you about setting up accounts.

"""
For more information about answer files and performing an unattended
installation, see the Windows XP deployment documentation Ref.chm Help file
that is located in Support\Tools\Deploy.cab on the Windows XP CD-ROM.
"""

> I think I might have. But in general, Microsoft's own search engine
> tends not to find anything useful.

You know you need to go to msdn.microsoft.com right? Not just microsoft.com?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"