POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : WIndows 7 multi-core operation : Re: WIndows 7 multi-core operation Server Time
30 Apr 2024 09:30:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIndows 7 multi-core operation
From: Bob
Date: 10 Feb 2009 16:13:31
Message: <4991edfb$1@news.povray.org>
"JayWiz" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.497da526835cc853db9c0890@news.povray.org...
> Chris Cason <del### [at] deletethistoopovrayorg> wrote:
>> JayWiz wrote:
>> > I installed POVRay 3.7 Beta 30 on a Windows 7 Beta and the benchmark
>> > (all cores)
>> > runs well. All other traces run with a single thread. I have checked
>> > and the
>> > thread setting is at 4. Is this Windows or just the POVRay install...

Just FYI... I started using W7 beta (32 bit) last week on my AMD Turion 64
X2. No apparent problems.

> It does not show number of cores found. just this:
> --------------------
> Loaded 8 tools into Tool Menu
> --------------------
> THe thread count in the message window is what I was using, but I also
> installed
> a gadget that showed core activity. The first day I ran it, it showed
> running on
> 1 thread on the message pane. When it rendered this morning, it ran on 4
> threads
> (a seperate gadget showed all four cores running this time). The render
> was also
> a few seconds slower. (259 vs 254). Just so all information is there, I am
> running 64 bit versions of Windows 7 and POVRay.

Regular and SSE2 32 bit POV shows this correctly, for me, and renders the
benchmark in half/double the time as expected. Render menu, Thread Count...
also shows 2 automatically.

However, the photon parse reports threads erroneously:

  Photon Time:      0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0.686 seconds)
              using 4 thread(s) with 0.686 CPU-seconds total
  Radiosity Time:   No radiosity
  Trace Time:       0 hours 13 minutes 21 seconds (801.795 seconds)
              using 1 thread(s) with 799.629 CPU-seconds total

And when All CPU's used:

  Photon Time:      0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0.593 seconds)
              using 5 thread(s) with 0.685 CPU-seconds total
  Radiosity Time:   No radiosity
  Trace Time:       0 hours  6 minutes 46 seconds (406.521 seconds)
              using 2 thread(s) with 804.433 CPU-seconds total

Of course, since photons hasn't been finished AFAIK that's probably not
unusual.

Bob