POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Usability targets and frameworks : Re: Usability targets and frameworks Server Time
9 Oct 2024 17:42:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Usability targets and frameworks
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Feb 2009 16:00:35
Message: <4991eaf3@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Lots of people keep saying this; where is this menu, OOC?

See attached images. When it makes a correction, it puts a little blue box
under the correction if you mouse close to it. Hover over the box to get the
drop-down menu.  (Or maybe click the box?)  In any case, if you correct the
same auto-correct several times, it stops correcting that.  Like, if "cisco"
is supposed to be lowercase, the second or third time you lower-case that
word manually it turns off the corrections too. Surprisingly clever.

> I always thought of it as a way for inexperienced people to throw
> together small databases. And in a way, it actually works quite well for
> that.

It's that too. But it's also a nice embedded database for small programs
that need an embedded database a little more sophisticated than a file
system. Sort of the Windows equivalent of Berkeley database manager.

> If you want to do serious database work, Access is a joke; it doesn't
> support multiple users using the database at once, the performance is
> horrible, and it has a habit of "corrupting" your database.

Yep. While I'm not sure about the "corrupting" part, it's not supposed to be
the right tool for big things.

> OTOH, if you just want to, say, record how many hours you spent working
> on each project this week, throwing together a small Access database is
> worlds simpler than setting up an Oracle server instance, configuring a
> security context, designing a database schema and writing a GUI to
> interface to it.

Yep. Or even an excel spreadsheet.

>>> Presumably products like SQL Server are designed to be used by
>>> experts - and, correspondingly, don't have the irritating wizards.
>>
>> SQL Server has the helpful wizards, instead.
>
> Uh... do I even want to ask which tasks it automates?

Stuff like setting up cluster replication, configuring automated backups,
things like that. I'm sure Gail has at least one or two wizards she starts
out with when setting things up. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'image3.png' (21 KB) Download 'image1.png' (9 KB)

Preview of image 'image3.png'
image3.png

Preview of image 'image1.png'
image1.png