POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Usability targets and frameworks : Re: Usability targets and frameworks Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:20:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Usability targets and frameworks
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Feb 2009 15:49:03
Message: <4991e83f$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> I guess I'm just weird in that I like to finish installing the OS and
> make sure it's bootable and all working and stuff *before* I join it to
> the domain.

Ooookey. I mean, if it really bugs you, install the OS, make sure all the
hardware works, then wipe the disk and reinstall and join the domain during
that install.

>> Otherwise, how would you expect to install SP3 if it doesn't make an
>> account for you to run the install from?
>
> How about the local admin account? You know, since it asks for a
> password for that during setup anyway...

Yeah. You'd need to be more expert at configuring Windows setups before
modifying what accounts it creates during setup and such.

>> When you're done, delete or disable the account, and you're good. (You
>> can't auto-login to an account by default unless there's only one
>> account and it has no password, so even adding a password would take
>> care of it.)
>
> The name of the deleted account still shows up as who this copy of
> Windows is "registered to".

So use the name of the company. Or leave an account out there with a
password in case you ever need to get into the machine after it's on the
domain. :-)

> It's just irritating.

But that's your job. It's obviously not irritating enough to work out how to
avoid the problem. :-) Not in the way it would be, were you in charge of
5000 computers.

>> Again, what's hard? Where did you look for the resource kit before?
>
> I was reading some KB article, and it said something like "see
> KB384728374 for how to obtain the resource kit". And I don't remember
> what happened from there. There was lots of time-consuming link chasing,
> but I never did find a download.

And you didn't think to go to microsoft's search engine and type in
"download resource kit"?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"