POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Usability targets and frameworks : Re: Usability targets and frameworks Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:19:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Usability targets and frameworks
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 10 Feb 2009 15:48:21
Message: <4991e815$1@news.povray.org>
>> Sure. But why couldn't they have added a button that says "yes, I
>> actually know how to operate a computer, please stop screwing up all
>> my formatting and just do what I tell you to do, not what you 'think'
>> I want you to do".
>
> They did. You're apparently not expert enough to know where the button
> is. :-)

Apparently. :-P

>> Or maybe released a seperate version of the software for experts or
>> something.
>
> They did. It's called LaTeX.

Cute. But LaTeX is a typesetter, not a word processor.

Regardless, I use LaTeX far more than I ever use Word. At least LaTeX
doesn't crash at you if you make a mistake. But, unfortunately, my job
requires me to use Word from time to time.

>> It's maddening trying to build a document with complex formatting and
>> having to constantly revert the automatic, non-deterministic changes
>> that Word keeps applying.
>
> Hmm. I find Word's automation in that area quite useful and usually
> exactly what I want and expect. When it isn't, the little drop-down menu
> on each automatic change makes it easy to fix whatever is wrong.

Lots of people keep saying this; where is this menu, OOC?

>> Well, I guess it depends who you think Access is actually aimed at.
>
> I think the idea was it would be a back-end database for simple data
> collection programs.

I always thought of it as a way for inexperienced people to throw
together small databases. And in a way, it actually works quite well for
that.

If you want to do serious database work, Access is a joke; it doesn't
support multiple users using the database at once, the performance is
horrible, and it has a habit of "corrupting" your database.

OTOH, if you just want to, say, record how many hours you spent working
on each project this week, throwing together a small Access database is
worlds simpler than setting up an Oracle server instance, configuring a
security context, designing a database schema and writing a GUI to
interface to it.

>> Presumably products like SQL Server are designed to be used by experts
>> - and, correspondingly, don't have the irritating wizards.
>
> SQL Server has the helpful wizards, instead.

Uh... do I even want to ask which tasks it automates?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/