POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Usability targets and frameworks : Re: Usability targets and frameworks Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:21:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Usability targets and frameworks
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 10 Feb 2009 15:42:48
Message: <4991e6c8$1@news.povray.org>
>> Unless, that is, you join the PC to a domain during setup. Then it
>> doesn't ask you for an account and puts in the correct settings. But
>> if you want to, say, install Windows, load SP3, and *then* join the
>> domain... sorry, can't easily do that.
>
> So put SP3 on the CD before you install it?  It's called "slipstreaming"
> the disk. It's pretty straightforward if you have something that can
> burn a CD.

I guess I'm just weird in that I like to finish installing the OS and
make sure it's bootable and all working and stuff *before* I join it to
the domain.

> Otherwise, how would you expect to install SP3 if it doesn't make an
> account for you to run the install from?

How about the local admin account? You know, since it asks for a
password for that during setup anyway...

> When you're done, delete or
> disable the account, and you're good. (You can't auto-login to an
> account by default unless there's only one account and it has no
> password, so even adding a password would take care of it.)

The name of the deleted account still shows up as who this copy of
Windows is "registered to". And even once you've deleted the account and
the profile, you still have to go into the Control Panel to enable the
logon prompt. (Otherwise Ctrl+Alt+Del just gives you task manager rather
than the menu.) It's just irritating.

>> All I know is that several KB articles mention tools that are only
>> available in the resource kit, and I have tried multiple times to
>> obtain this kit, yet never actually succeeded.
>
> Go to msdn.microsoft.com
> type "resource kit" into the search bar.
> You'll get back a page of entries for downloading all the resource kits
> for different software packages.
>
> Again, what's hard? Where did you look for the resource kit before?

I was reading some KB article, and it said something like "see
KB384728374 for how to obtain the resource kit". And I don't remember
what happened from there. There was lots of time-consuming link chasing,
but I never did find a download. IIRC, I managed to download a user
guide for the resource kit, but not the kit itself. It appeared that you
have to be an M$ volume customer in order to obtain it.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/