POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : DEM maps for desert dunes... : Creating desert dunes height map... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:15:40 EDT (-0400)
  Creating desert dunes height map...
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 10 Feb 2009 15:19:53
Message: <4991e169$1@news.povray.org>
Ok. Forget the DEM maps.. :p After finding the right ones on the GIS
site (Why don't they link up to google maps, or something, or at least
provide a "this is my coordinates, what map is for 'this' place?", type
search at least? Sigh...), I found the data pretty useless, though I am
not sure what the issue was. It ended up more.. muddy than dune like..
Best guess is that the data is inaccurate do to wind storms, averaging,
or some other issue, which smeared the result, instead of generating a
clear map. But, what ever the problem, its completely worthless.

So, that leave.. Well, a $150 product called Leveller, which I ain't
paying for, or Bryce. Only, not really, for Bryce, since while it "does"
generate dunes as one of its options, it has a size limit of like
2034x2048, or something, and I need something that can be, refiguring
the requirements, broken down into something like 256x256 blocks, each
block 32x32/64x64 in size, or something like 8192x8192 (minimum), or
16,384x16,384 (max resolution). Bryce produces a result that is a) too
small, and b) doesn't have enough overall detail (i.e., basically one
dune, not multiple "dunes").

So, anyone have some algorithms for this, or some free application that
can do it, or... And lets you set an arbitrary map size, instead of
being stuck with smaller ones? I haven't a clue how to even attempt to
do the math needed myself (or the patience to spend a week trying to
figure it out. lol).

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {