POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Playing Crysis : Re: Playing Crysis Server Time
9 Oct 2024 21:17:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Playing Crysis
From: Warp
Date: 10 Feb 2009 13:50:52
Message: <4991cc8b@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran <gil### [at] agroparistechfr> wrote:
> I guess the main point is to create social taboos strong enough so that they
> don't break easily whenever there's a crisis. In that sense they have been
> relatively successful as a containment policy: small groups still use hate
> rhetorics and engage in hate activities but their ideas don't spill over to
> the general population. These taboos didn't exist in pre-WW2 Europe, where
> part of the population was quite receptive to such ideas and turned against
> their neighbours.

  Hate ideology, for example antisemitism, not only by radical activists
but by elected politicians themselves, is nowadays as strong as ever. Only
the excuses and namecalling have changed, but not the basic fact. Reading
some of the antisemitistic hate speeches of some western elected politicians
gives an eerie feeling of similar speeches in Germany in the 30's.

  I'm exaggerating? Maybe. But not by much. Just read, for example, this:

http://www.thelocal.se/17466/20090209/

  (And I recommend reading the entire article, not just the first few
paragraphs.)

--
                                                          - Warp