POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Olympic Flag : Re: Olympic Flag Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:32:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Olympic Flag
From: Chris B
Date: 10 Feb 2009 13:03:41
Message: <4991c17d@news.povray.org>
"sam kim" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.4991b56ea703dd1dfb3550c0@news.povray.org...
> "Chris B" <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote:
>>
>> Sounds quite ambitious for a first project, but I guess it's always good
>> aim high.
>>

> Is it?
> I can't really tell how difficult it would be for beginners
> to come up with a castle..
> I was thinking if we work a step at a time.
> It might just be possible within 2 months.
> If this is too ambitious (uncertainty of achieving it is too high)
>
> then what would be a good project topic?

Actually, if it's a 2 month project and there's discussion and collaboration
between groups of students then it might be fine. I'd imagined a first
project of just a few days. It does depend on how much time they're spending
on it each week too. If it's just a couple of hours a week it could be quite
tough for them to put it down and pick it up again in that way.

Also, you should expect people to pick it up at very different rates. People
with some sort of previous programming experience who are able to
conceptualize 3D spaces in their heads tend to love it, but if someone lacks
one or both of those skills/aptitudes then they could find it pretty tough
going.

If the first bit of the project is a simple CSG gate house that's made by
differencing boxes, or just the crenellation of the main walls, then you
should be able to tell who can get their heads round CSG concepts. It may be
worth sidelining different groups based on how well they cope in the first
week or so. People who can't get their heads around CSG may be very good at
defining textures or doing landscapes or modelling using a 3D modelling tool
etc.

I would imaging you could collectively achieve something impressive in 2
months.

Regards,
Chris B.