POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Technical support is... : Re: Technical support is... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:20:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Technical support is...
From: scott
Date: 10 Feb 2009 09:29:29
Message: <49918f49$1@news.povray.org>
> I can't agree more but we were talking about repairing things, I think.
> There is
> a world of difference between design, construction and maintenance.

Of course, but if you start to try and maintain something that you are not
trained to, you never know what special things you need to worry about.

Real life personal experiences:  1 year old car goes to authorised dealer
for first service, mechanic who is not familiar with new car design does the
service, next day the brake pedal goes to the floor as we are trying to
stop.  Turns out with this new car design there is a special procedure for
bleeding the brakes which is different from previous models, as we got one
of the very first versions of this car I guess the mechanic had never worked
on this car before and just assumed he could do the same as previous ones.

Or the mechanic who tried to jack up my dad's car with a trolley jack at
some random point (and not at the jacking points) - if it weren't for the
fact that my dad was watching and screamed at him it would have surely
resulted in several bent parts of the space frame.