POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Technical support is... : Re: Technical support is... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:19:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Technical support is...
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 10 Feb 2009 08:15:07
Message: <49917ddb$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:

> I know what you mean about RCCBs (that's what we call them here). Especially
> when they are in lighting circuits they seem to increase the rate of failure of
> incandescent light bulbs. In the UK all changes to domestic circuits need to be
> checked by an independent inspector.

For some reason switching power supplies and inductive loads are prone
to tripping them, I can't understand why (inductive maybe because of
power factor, switching supply, who knows...) All I know is my freezer
has a tag on the plug that says never plug into a GFCI outlet (truth:
parents did this, and noticed soon enough the freezer stopped working
before everything thawed, then it kept happening. The motor that runs
the compressor draws a lot of current, and probably doesn't have power
factor correction)

On the other hand, it was quite irritating to have the GFCI
spontaneously trip on the circuit my computer was plugged into. I
finally resorted to buying a long high-grade extension cord and finding
an unprotected outlet on the other side of the apartment (in a different
room, mind you) to plug my computer into.

Ironically, the outlet on the porch isn't GFCI protected. :-D

--
~Mike