POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Usability targets and frameworks : Re: Usability targets and frameworks Server Time
9 Oct 2024 16:09:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Usability targets and frameworks
From: Invisible
Date: 10 Feb 2009 04:45:21
Message: <49914cb1$1@news.povray.org>
>> Have you any idea how many people in the workforce cannot write a well
>> formatted letter?
>
> Or how many marketing people struggle with basic grammar, for that
> matter? :-)

That's kinda worrying. I thought that only happens in Dilbert world?

> Yes. If you never look for the information, of course, you don't find
> it. But HP doesn't sit there installing the OS one at a time when they
> make machines. :-)

Well, since HP sells millions of identical machines, I would suspect
they do what I do - create a disk image and clone it onto each machine.

That still doesn't help you if you just want to set up one machine, but
you want to configure it in a specific way. There is basically no way
round it; you *must* run the irritating wizard, and then spend half an
hour undoing all the incorrect configuration it did. There's no way to
abort or circumvent the wizard and configure manually.

> http://labmice.techtarget.com/windowsxp/Install/unattend.htm
>
> You know, that wasn't really hard at all. A pretty obvious google query
> answers that for you, with links to all the official MS pages.

Uhuh, and let's see what this page actually says...

- "How to deploy using RIS". Cool. I don't have RIS, but anyway...
- "How to perform unattended install from CD-ROM". Which basically says
you need the Resource Kit that I can't obtain. Nice.
- "How to use Group Policy to remotely upgrade from Windows 2000 to
Windows XP". Interesting that you can do that, but I would never, ever,
attempt to do something so hazardous.
- "How to use SysPrep: An Introduction". Now this sounds actually
useful... oh, wait, it redirects to the Windows XP Homepage. So no help
there then. (Having spent time wrestling with SysPrep and trying to
guess how to work it, this might have been quite useful.)
- The second SysPrep link also redirects to the XP homepage.
- "How to use the SysPrep tool to automate the installation of Windows
XP". Ah, *this* link actually works! And contains some moderately useful
information...