POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Debugging and line numbers : Re: Debugging and line numbers Server Time
1 Jun 2024 04:31:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Debugging and line numbers
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 10 Feb 2009 00:28:01
Message: <49911061$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 22:25:50 -0500, clipka wrote:

>> Something like:
>>
>> http://irl.eecs.umich.edu/jamin/pointers/gdbQS.html
>>
>> Perhaps? ;-)
>
> Yeah, something like that... with working links, preferably :)

Well, that was one of the hits on Google that I found. ;-)

>> > .... or better yet, how to set those freakin' debugging-related flags
>> > of the POV ../configure script, so that it automatically sets all
>> > compiler flags I need (though I fear I won't find such information in
>> > the compiler docs) ;)
>>
>> Most ./configure scripts accept a --help switch to tell you what the
>> options are. :-)
>
> Sure. I prefer the "INSTALL" documentation of POV though (I'm not so
> fond of any online help that I have to invoke again and again because it
> keeps scrolling out of view in my terminal window). Still it doesn't say
> what *exactly* those compiler flags do; for example, can *you* tell me
> what *exactly* the "--enable-debug" flag does? I give you a hint: It
> does *not* seem to enable line number information in the executable.

Pipe the output through less.  :-)

Then there's "man gcc" if you want to know what the compiler flags do.

I don't have the povray source on my system at the moment, so no, I
probably couldn't tell you what --enable-debug does in povray's configure
script.

You could always run the configure script with and without the switch and
diff the makefiles....That's how I'd do it rather than trying to sort
through bash scripting (since that's not my strong suit).

Jim