POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Usability targets and frameworks : Re: Usability targets and frameworks Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:19:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Usability targets and frameworks
From: Chambers
Date: 9 Feb 2009 22:01:05
Message: <4990edf1$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/9/2009 1:28 PM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Uhuh. And now open Word, type a few sentences, apply some minimal
> formatting to it, and behold as an animated paperclip pops up and says
> "Hey! That looks like you're trying to type a letter! Are you so
> retarded that you can't figure out how to do that properly all by
> yourself, or should I just **** off and let you get on with what you
> were trying to do in the first place?"

Have you any idea how many people in the workforce cannot write a well
formatted letter?  Features like that make Word an attractive product
for many hundreds of thousands, if not literally millions, of people who
would otherwise not bother with it.

> Open up Access and ask to create a new database. A helpful wizard offers
> to generate a CD indexing database for you automatically. Because, you
> know, you might be too stupid to work out how to create a few tables all
> by yourself, after all.

Actually, the first few times I used Access, I had it autocreate some
DBs for me so I could see how the structure worked.  But then, I've
never used SQL (except a few commands in a PHP script), and I've never
studied database design, so maybe I'm one of those users who is "too
stupid to work out how" by myself.

> Similarly, there is apparently no way for a knowledgable system
> administrator like myself to install and configure a copy of Windows.

At least through XP, there was a method of burning your own custom
install of Windows to an image that could be used from a CD for an
unattended install.  I believe there was a way to do remote installs as
well, but I'm not sure about that one.

--
...Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com