POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Usability targets and frameworks : Re: Usability targets and frameworks Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:17:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Usability targets and frameworks
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 9 Feb 2009 16:28:40
Message: <4990a008$1@news.povray.org>
>> Arguably this is why most M$ products aren't useful to experts. Almost
>> every M$ product I've seen to date is designed around the assumption
>> that the person using it is too stupid to operate a complex machine
>> and must therefore be prevented from doing certain things.
>
> Huh?  SQL Server is very nice and powerful. Their IDEs are some of the
> best out there. Their latest compiler technology is in front of most
> other people. You can code Excel and Word in .NET and pull data out of
> spreadsheets to make charts, and take data off of Word forms and stick
> it into a database, all without any programming.
>
> Hell, their word processor is powerful enough to have macros that are
> viruses.
>
> How is that "too stupid to operate a complex machine"?

Uhuh. And now open Word, type a few sentences, apply some minimal
formatting to it, and behold as an animated paperclip pops up and says
"Hey! That looks like you're trying to type a letter! Are you so
retarded that you can't figure out how to do that properly all by
yourself, or should I just **** off and let you get on with what you
were trying to do in the first place?"

Open up Access and ask to create a new database. A helpful wizard offers
to generate a CD indexing database for you automatically. Because, you
know, you might be too stupid to work out how to create a few tables all
by yourself, after all.

(I presume - indeed, I deeply *hope* - that SQL Server at least manages
to assume that anybody who can afford to spent tens of thousands of
dollars on a database product doesn't need any help issuing a few SQL
commands...)

Similarly, there is apparently no way for a knowledgable system
administrator like myself to install and configure a copy of Windows.
You *must* sit through the cutesy helpy-helper wizards and struggle to
make it do what you want, not what M$ wants. (E.g., there is no way to
avoid creating a local user account in the Administrators group with
auto-login unless you add the machine to a domain during the setup
process. WTF?)

Stuff like that.

Sure, some of their products do allow you to do some fairly powerful
stuff. Good luck finding it though. Unfortunately, the assumption most
of their products make is that the person operating the machine is an idiot.

(I'm sure Warp can give you a long speech about how all these helpful
auto-adaptive "features" actually make it *harder* to learn to use the
software for yourself. HCI experts have been saying it for decades...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/