POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Technical support is... : Re: Technical support is... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:19:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Technical support is...
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 9 Feb 2009 13:42:40
Message: <49907920$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:

> Well, there are electricians and electricians :)

Got it :) The one I liked was the whole getting our apartment complex
"up to code" by installing GFCI outlets. They hired a subcontractor to
perform the work.

We now have about half a dozen (3 in the kitchen alone) that seem to
control every circuit in our home. You have to be very careful that you
don't plug something in that might trigger a GFCI breaker, or something
that would be adversely affected by the breaker tripping. The affected
outlet locations seem almost random...

In the process of doing that, they managed to break a seemingly
unrelated circuit: The lighting in the hallway (it was a 3-way switch,
So you could turn it on or off at either end...) After their handywork,
turning on the light caused it to come on dimly, then throw the breaker
on the main panel.

After our call to maintenance, who had a decent electrician still on
staff, the came out and checked out the light ... they wired the ground
hot on the light (or rather one of the switches, so that a certain
combinaion of switch positions resulted in a short, and other
combinations resulted in no light, but a hot fixture, or light and a hot
fixture). He was just thankful we never messed with the fixture.  There
were other problems with their wiring, and he wasn't sure why they did
what they did...

--
~Mike