POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Playing Crysis : Re: Playing Crysis Server Time
9 Oct 2024 21:18:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Playing Crysis
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 9 Feb 2009 05:30:25
Message: <499005c1$1@news.povray.org>

498fad3b@news.povray.org...
> Well, for the more modern laws, I can only speculate that there is
> perhaps a resurgence of those ideas and that's what's prompted an
> apparent rise in political awareness of it in the country.

Yes, the 80s in Western Europe saw a rise of neonazism, Holocaust denial and
anti-immigration parties, and not just in Germany. There was a return to
pre-WW2 hate rhetorics that was (and still is) bothering.
The other factor was that Holocaust scholarship only began in the 60s and
became mature in the 80s. Only then we had a comprehensive, detailed
understanding of the mechanics of genocide and the work is still ongoing due
to the mountains of archives now available in Russia and other ex-communist
countries. Particularly, studies of the perpetrators' motives (i.e. what
turned decent, ordinary people motives into killers) date from the 90s.
Unfortunately, we saw these mechanics in action in the Balkans, in Rwanda
and other parts of the world. All of this informed the more restrictive
policies relative to hate speech and hate activities taken in Europe in the
past 20 years.

> Yes, but from what I understand in Germany, outlawing some of the symbols
> has slowed any serious movement down.

I guess the main point is to create social taboos strong enough so that they
don't break easily whenever there's a crisis. In that sense they have been
relatively successful as a containment policy: small groups still use hate
rhetorics and engage in hate activities but their ideas don't spill over to
the general population. These taboos didn't exist in pre-WW2 Europe, where
part of the population was quite receptive to such ideas and turned against
their neighbours.

G.