POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Speed up Boolean : Re: Speed up Boolean Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:30:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speed up Boolean
From: Chris B
Date: 9 Feb 2009 04:56:52
Message: <498ffde4$1@news.povray.org>
"P Brewer" <pbj### [at] wowwaycom> wrote in message
> Are there any tricks to speed up "complex" boolean objects?
>
> I have a hockey puck, with several thousand small prisms cut from the side
> make a knurl texture on the side. I've manually bounded the puck, but POV
> still
> crawls once it starts rendering that surface.
>
> I'm hoping that by altering the way I put the initial objects together, I
> can
> speed it up.

I see you've already achieved a bit of a speed up, but in case you're still
interested, this does look like a hole cutting problem discussed a few years
ago.

Mike Williams put together a page describing the problem and a few
alternative approaches to minimising the slowdown at
http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/holetut/index.htm.

Regards,
Chris B.