POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Game recommendations : Re: Game recommendations Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:19:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Game recommendations
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 8 Feb 2009 13:25:43
Message: <498f23a7$1@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> If by technology you mean the stills and some videos, yes, I remember being
> impressed with those, and I believe that's the only reason people bought it.
> I wouldn't consider those technology, but the game art. Visual artists did a
> good job for sure, but any single beginner programmer could have coded the
> game itself in a matter of days.

Fair enough, but I'm not sure it's fair to distinguish the level design
from the "game", since I have no doubt that the vast majority of the
development time was spent designing the levels.  Sure the interaction
was very simple, but that was the first time that I saw anything that
really did a good job of visually emulating a virtual world.

Not that I can't understand why you wouldn't like it, and I agree that
the visuals are the only really interesting part, I just found the
visuals impressive and engrossing enough (at the time) that I still
regard it as a groundbreaking game.