POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Game recommendations : Re: Game recommendations Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:21:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Game recommendations
From: somebody
Date: 8 Feb 2009 12:16:22
Message: <498f1366@news.povray.org>
"Kevin Wampler" <wampler+pov### [at] uwashingtonedu> wrote in message
> somebody wrote:

> > Myst series seemed utterly boring to me. With a storyline that is
sterile,
> > alien and convoluted, and puzzles that are artificial , I never
understood
> > what the appeal was. Then again, I've never been a "gamer", in that most
> > can play is 1/2 hr or so at a sitting, and to mentally and physically
relax,
> > not as a second job. For similar demographics, I guess games that are
more
> > like sitcoms than films are more appealing.

> Did you play Myst shortly after it came out or later on?  I recall the
> the technology rather stunning when it came out, but has since been long
> surpassed by other games, so that might play into your assessment.

If by technology you mean the stills and some videos, yes, I remember being
impressed with those, and I believe that's the only reason people bought it.
I wouldn't consider those technology, but the game art. Visual artists did a
good job for sure, but any single beginner programmer could have coded the
game itself in a matter of days.